2018 – is it launch year?

With the beginning of a new year, I find myself reflecting back on the build and considering when the boat will be launched.Having started the build in June 2015, we are starting to forget some of details of when we first started. So with my best rose coloured glasses, I look back over 2017 and acknowledge that it was busy year on the build. It’s been wonderful to set the boat move along, like seeing lights installed, finishing the furniture, and starting the upholstery. But what stands out over 2017 is the work put into fairing. Fairing involves applying a paste, sanding it back, and repeating, and repeating, and repeating. The goal is to get the boat smooth and ready for painting. So for the prospective boat builders out there, may advice is to get help with fairing. Lots and lots of help. It’s hard and unrewarding work.

Looking forward, the question we are all asking is if 2018 is the year of the launch. Fingers crossed that it is – as we having a wedding to plan in 2019!

Over Christmas break, we worked hard to push the boat further along. We sanded and faired, and sanded and faired, and sanded and faired. The goal was to have the hull high built by New Years and we got there.

Here is a photo of the sanding team that worked tirelessly to get the hull high built. It still needs more work. But this is just the first of several coats.

So let’s start with some fairing pictures.

Part of the process is to seal up the hull, which we did. But by scraping off the excess resin and keeping the additional weight to a minimum.

And it is incredible to think that we are down to our last bag of bog!

And here are some pics of the boat high built

Meanwhile, I was busting building the engine pods.

And then Brad finished work, and high built the front.

Meanwhile dad was busy getting the upholstery sorted. The recessed lights look great.

And the final job was to high build the flybridge panels. To speed up installation, Brad and Julia have been sealing, fairing, and high building the flybridge panels. So when they are installed, we have some of the work already completed.

Advertisements

First steps (on the flybridge)

We have started to do some prep work on the flybridge. Last weekend, Brad and Julia got the panels in order. And started technifilling some edges. This weekend (which was short) they prep sanded and started fairing the panels.

After putting in a late night shift, working till 11:30 at night, brad and I sealed up the panels. And I used our new high build to do a first layer of high build. The panels come up beautifully. So that’s going to be the next chunk of work.

Meanwhile, I also started working with dad to install an angled section on the transom in prep for the motors.

Let’s start with pics of fairing the panels.

And then they were sealed with epoxy

And then high built

And evidence of the late night finish!

Lastly, just a construction pic of the angled section for the transom. We are using top quality marine ply. Which will be reinforced with fibreglass. These are double thickness pieces cut into triangles.

It’s been a while

A few people have been asking when the next blog update will be posted?

We have been working, just busy sanding and fairing. And unfortunately that doesn’t make for interesting photos.

This weekend, I had my head in the bowels of the boat wiring up lights, and fixing up odds jobs. Meanwhile, Brad was busy preparing the flybridge panels.

Here is a pic of brad coming out the Duflex panel and then filling it with technifil.

Meanwhile, I was installing supports in the anchor well

And here is a sneaky pic of the anchor winch

Keep on moving forward

This weekend was spent busily pushing forward on fairing. Brad finally got his icebox installed. We did more work on the doors. And I pushed ahead with installing the lights.

Here are some pics of Brad installing the icebox

And the doors reinforced with technifil

The weekend was spent pushing the fairing project further forward. I started fairing the cabin top. Brad and dad continued fairing the hull.

And here are photos of the lights installed.

Sanding, sanding, sanding

Boat builders know that sanding is an unending task. No matter where you look, there is another nook or cranny to sand.

With so much sanding ahead of us – we have enlisted a new helper. Julia is our latest recruit to help with the sanding.

This week was her first week on the job. And we set her to the task of sanding the curves in the deck. It’s a slow job and one that takes so much time.

Fairing, fairing, fairing

Fairing is the process of applying a paste or compound which when sanded, gives the appearance of being flat. It’s a long hard job, and one that we put aside for a few months. 

I recently bought some Technifil from ATL, to see if it would make any difference. So we spent the weekend applying it to the hull. And we are so impressed with the product. I’d recommend every amateur boatbuilder get some. 

On top of that, we installed the base plate for the anchor winch. And started to carve up the anchor lockers into smaller lockers. 

Here is a photo of dad applying the technifil


And a photo of the final result. It’s amazing stuff, it even filled the lines left in the faired surface by the sander. 


We built up the bow sprit using our Technilfil putty. Another really handy product from ATL


Here is a pic of our anchor winch


And here is the base plate, that we screw the anchor winch too. Glassed in place. And the screws are set into the plate with bog. 


Here is the reinforcement piece for the anchor well. We cut out the original middle one, to fit the drum winch. And had to replace it with two others.